Yesterday morning, I looked out my window and light flakes of snow were falling to the ground. Part of me thought it was beautiful and the other part was dreading going out in the cold. Although I was born and raised a Wisconsinite, I still have not gotten used to the wicked winters. This first little snowfall is only the beginning. For me, once winter hits, I crave warm comfort foods. Pasta is one of my go to comfort foods, so I thought I would share one of my favorites with you, beef stroganoff.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 lb. angus beef grill steak or beef sirloin
• ½ cup chopped onions
• 1 cup of fresh baby Portobello mushrooms
• 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
• ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
• ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
• 8 ounces of beef stock
• ¾ cup of sour cream
• 2 tablespoons flour
• Egg noodles or rice
• Chopped fresh parsley ( optional )
01. Clean and chop onions.
02. Cut your grill steak or sirloin into ½ thick by 1 to 2 inch long strips.
03. In a medium to large saucepan, heat your olive oil on medium heat. Place your cut meat into saucepan and sauté for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned and softened. Drain grease from pan the best you can, but do not rinse the meat.
04. Add chopped onions, mushrooms, crushed garlic, black pepper, sea salt and Worcestershire sauce to saucepan and sauté with meat for 3-4 minutes.
05. Add beef stock to saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
06. Lower heat and stir in sour cream and flour. Cook until hot but do not simmer. Add any salt or pepper to your taste.
07. Serve over a bed of egg noodles or rice and garnish with fresh chopped parsley (optional).
08. Enjoy… hopefully with toasted garlic bread!
This dish will definitely warm you up on those cold winter nights to come. For those of you who live in areas that don’t experience this type of winter, consider your selves lucky ( in my eyes ), but still give this tasty pasta a try. Don’t forget you can use this handy dandy PDF to easily print this recipe. Until next time, cheers!