Football season is just getting started, so I thought I would throw one of my tailgating favorites into your lineup! No tailgate party would be complete without chips and salsa. Texas caviar is a fun twist compared to your regular salsa and it’s extremely addicting!
• ½ cup sugar
• ½ cup apple vinegar
• ½ cup veggie oil
• 2 cans shoe peg corn (11oz cans)
• 1 can black eyed peas
• 1 can black beans
• 1 green pepper
• 1 yellow pepper
• 1 red pepper
• 1 hot pepper
• 1 cup green onions
• 1 cup celery
• ¼ cup cilantro (optional)
01. Whisk sugar, apple cider vinegar and veggie oil in a medium saucepan. Heat over low to medium heat, occasionally stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved. Set aside in the refrigerator to cool.
02. Strain the shoe peg corn, black-eyed peas and black beans in a colander. Lightly rinse the corn and beans in the colander and then place them in a large bowl.
03. Remove the stems and seeds from the green, yellow, red and hot peppers. Finely dice each pepper and place in the large bowl. Do not touch your eyes after handling the peppers!
04. Thinly slice the green onions and celery and place in the large bowl. You can use the white and green parts of the onions.
05. Chop cilantro and place in the large bowl (optional).
06. Stir all chopped vegetables together in the large bowl. Pour the cooled sauce over the vegetable mixture and stir until the vegetable mixture is coated with the sauce.
07. Chill for several hours before serving.
08. Enjoy with scoop tortilla chips or my absolute favorite scoop Fritos! If you prefer, your Texas Caviar can also be served solo as a chilled salad.
I recently realized it may be hard to print these recipes for those of you who want to try them out. To solve this problem, I will be including a PDF version in each post that will make printing easier. Also included in the PDF is a small section for you to make your own notes when baking or cooking. I love tweaking recipes based on my taste buds and I know a note section would come in handy for me, so I hope it comes in hand for you as well. Hopefully this Texas Caviar will add a nice kick to your next tailgating party and I have no doubt that it will sack any other salsa!